December 25-26, 2017:
- Vista offices will be closed for the Christmas holiday.
December 29, 2017:
- Note that this is the last business day of the year, so transactions for 2017 must be completed on this day.
- Vista offices will close early for the New Year's holiday.
December 31, 2017:
- Deadline to take Required Minimum Distributions from IRAs if you're over 70 ½. If you turned 70 ½ in 2017, we should discuss your choices. We're currently reviewing all accounts carefully to make sure that all of our clients are in compliance.
- Complete gifts to individuals for 2017, including 529 plan contributions. The maximum exclusion this year is $14,000 per gift, per person.
- Complete charitable donations for 2017.
- Accelerate/defer income and deductions for 2017 to minimize Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT), Net Investment Income Tax (NIIT) and overall tax liability.
- Open new qualified retirement plan accounts for business owners.
January 1, 2018:
- Vista offices will be closed for the New Year's holiday.
January 16, 2018:
- Fourth quarter 2017 estimated taxes are due.
April 17, 2018:
- IRA contributions are due.
- Note: SEP-IRA contributions can be deposited later than April 17th, if the related tax return is extended.
- If any excess contributions were made to IRA or 401(k) plans, these contributions should be withdrawn to avoid excise penalties.